Monday, July 28, 2014

Visited the New Sprouts Farmers Market

I was on the north side this weekend for a few days. While out running around I passed by the new Sprouts Farmers Market on Scenic Hwy. in Lawrenceville. I'd been hearing about it on the radio and, being a healthy eater, "had" to stop in to check it out. I didn't have a lot of time so the following is based on my first, quick impressions.

There was a lot to like. Loads of fresh veggies, bright and cheery, friendly staff and a great selection of gluten-free foods.

As a fairly savvy price shopper I went on the prowl for things I buy often to compare value. I found that if you shop the sales (Van Gluten-Free Waffles, 2 for $5 as compared to a regular price of $3.17 at Kroger) then I came out ahead.

However, on many of my fave items I was dismayed at the high cost. I recently wrote about Against The Grain Pizza that I buy at Publix for a regular price of $9.99. It was $12.99 at Sprouts. Yikes, $3 hike!

I guy a rice bran bread (sorry, can't think of the name at the moment and I'm OUT). At Kroger it's $6.99, ditto for Sprouts. At Trader Joes it's regularly $4 and some change. A minimum of $2 difference.

I am always on the hunt for gluten-free/sugar-free items. The combination is hard to find. I found a Barbara's brand Rice Crispie that was fruit-juice sweetened*. I bought their last three boxes.

They had watermelon's for $1.98 --- a most excellent price. Many of their fruits and veggies were extremely well priced. I grabbed one of their sales fliers so I could peruse later and found some dynamite sales.

Bottom line - they're on my list of "to shop on a regular basis". I will shop the sales and grab the items that I can't find anywhere else. Sigh. I was hoping I would have found a one-stop-grocery-shop. Oh well, I did find a place that will allow me to incorporate more fresh vegetables and fruits at a lower price.

They will be opening two more locations in the Atlanta area in upcoming months:
August:
5130 Peachtree Pkwy.
Peachtree Corners, GA 30092
678-690-1249

September:
3630 Peachtree Pkwy.
Johns Creek, GA 30024

I noted that they were opening 12 new locations around the U.S. in the near future. This is a store that is expanding FAST! Watch out Whole Foods and Trader Joes, they are going to give you some real competition. Course, you and I will be the beneficiary of that competition I'm guessing (or hoping).

*sugar free to me means no honey, fructose in any form, maple syrup, chemically made sweeteners (Splenda, etc.), corn syrup, etc. Fruit juice sweetened in find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for caring enough to leave a comment. We always pre-screen and never post a comment with any kind of a link. If you want us to check out a site please don't make it a link.